Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Gluten Free Carrot Cake Recipe


I don't lead a gluten free life. I do have friends with gluten intolerance and I also think it is important to not solely rely on wheat as a grain source when there are so many other nutritionally superior sources out there, so I do have some gluten free recipes I use from time to time. I must confess it was a bit hard sharing this recipe because I made it for a special occasion for someone I cared a great deal about who has chosen not to be a part of my life anymore, especially hard when I am feeling a bit melancholy this morning. But it is a yummy recipe meant to be shared.

Carrot Cake

(adapted from Flying Apron's Gluten Free and Vegan Baking Book)

2 cups brown rice flour
1 1/4 cups garbanzo bean or chestnut flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 cup canola oil
2 cups water
1 Tbs vanilla extract
2 cups agave syrup
1 1/4 cups grated carrot
2 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup golden raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottoms of three 9 inch cake pans with parchment paper.

Combine flours, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine wet ingredients. Slowly whisk flour mixture into oil mixture until thoroughly combined. Fold in grated carrot, coconut, nuts, and raisins. 

Pour batter into cake pans and bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool, and if desired frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment