Thursday, April 19, 2012

DIY Cucumber Spa Water

My good friend April, who also happens to be the most nurturing doula around (She helped me through an all natural childbirth with my son, Ben), knew I needed to pause and take time to care for myself after having a really rough year and a half. For Christmas she blessed me with a gift certificate to a.r.t. massage body spa. The certificate sat folded up on my desk reminding me daily I should take advantage of this gift, but I just kept putting it off. Until I hurt my back a couple weeks ago and the pain lingered on.

April, in another act of generosity, watched Ben for me yesterday so I could go. Let me tell you, as overstressed as this gal's body is I could have been worked over all day and still had kinks. I had the gal working on me concentrate on the most painful spot - my lower back. Wow, no pain after I left! I did long to take a nap for the rest of the day, but considering my appointment was at ten in the morning that was unfortunately not an option.

Anyway, when I first walked in the spa I was handed this delicious, cooling glass of cucumber water. Of course, before I left I had to find out how to recreate this tasty beverage. Turns out it is very simple. I made some today. Ideally I'd like to get a glass drink dispenser and keep it loaded in the refrigerator, hoping I will drink more water and stay away from less healthy beverages.


I infused my cucumber water in a quart size glass pitcher. To the water I added about a third of a sliced cucumber, half a lime cut into four wedges, and two sprigs of mint. Then, simply cover and place in the refrigerator for a couple hours to allow the flavors to infuse into the water. If you'd prefer, replace the lime with lemon. That is what the spa used in their water. Either way, it is quite refreshing and zero calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment