Thursday, February 26, 2015

Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent without Borax - Repost



I am still scratching my head as to how one of my most popular posts disappeared. I really enjoyed the comments that were shared with it, as well. I didn't realize laundry detergent could spark some interesting conversations.

Some people had commented on the cost of a bottle of Dr. Bronner's castile soap. First off, you don't have to use Dr. Bronner's brand if you can find a cheaper castile soap. Second, the initial investment may seem costly, but this stuff lasts forever. I have had my current bottle for months and it still has quite a bit in it. I also use it to make a multipurpose cleaner and when I mop. I have discovered that the cheapest place to purchase it in my area is actually Whole Foods, which I must admit surprised me. It was even cheaper than ordering it through Amazon.

 I would like to note that I have been using this recipe for homemade laundry detergent for some time now and I am pleased with the results. In fact, I am about to mix up another batch this weekend. Since it does not contain any stabilizers, the mixture may become lumpy, especially in cold weather. You can either gently warm it up or give it a light shake to evenly distribute and use it chunks and all. The chunks will dissolve in the wash.

Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent

  • 1/2 Cup Super Washing Soda
  • 1/2 Cup Baking Soda
  • 3/4 Cup Castile Soap ( I use Dr. Bronner's unscented baby mild)
  • 20-40 drops essential oil, such as lavender, geranium, or your favorite scent
  • 2 gallons water
You will also need a two gallon bucket, empty containers, and a funnel.

Pour the super washing soda into the two gallon bucket  and cover with hot tap water. Stir to dissolve. Add the baking soda. Once dissolved, fill the bucket to the top with water. Add the castile soap. Stir to mix in the soap. I just use my hands, but a large spoon would do. Add essential oils. Pour into bottle(s) using the funnel.

Use 1/3 cup per standard load.



12 comments:

  1. I purchased everything to make this detergent, then we bought a new washing machine. When they delivered it they were adamit that we use high efficiency detergent. Have you used this in an HE washing machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, Lauren I haven't used it in a high efficiency machine. Perhaps someone else reading has experience with this? I know some companies will void your warranty if you don't use a specific detergent.

      Delete
  2. I just made this. It is very thin. When I put it in my washer it didn't suds up at all. Is this normal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Caitlin, it is thin and doesn't really suds up. But I have been using it for about three years now and have been happy with it. My washer, on the other hand, not so much, but mainly because it is on its last breath and doesn't really agitate anymore.

      Delete
    2. i grate a bar of Fells Naptha soap in mine..it smells great and if you cover whatever type of container you put in in for 12 hours or so it gets thick and gloppy...perfect for laundry! however...it does not make suds..it doesn't need to.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trying this today! Finally going homemade/natural, after wanting to for quite some time.
    Can you recommend a fabric softener? looking for one WITHOUT the sauve conditioner I see everywhere. Thinking vinegar as the main ingredient.....Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this recipe. I've been using a different one that used borax and I'd like to get away from that, so this is great. I shared it on my blog post (http://www.puresthome.com/blogs/thoughts/86454531-9-ways-to-save-on-laundry). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Jenna! I will check out your blog, and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blog and data is excellent and informative as well Custard E-Juice UK

    ReplyDelete