Thursday, May 3, 2012

Revved Up Hummus


This easy and quick recipe is nutrient rich, energy filled, and delicious! It is great to make on a hot day when you don't want to cook and can be used as a healthy party dip or stuffed in a whole grain pita with some sprouts or baby spinach for a power packed lunch or dinner.

I was excited to use fresh cilantro out of my garden when I made up a batch tonight. Later in the season I'll have homegrown tomatoes, too, but for now I had to settle with store bought. In this modern world where we collect sub par food from grocery shelves, there is something really satisfying about picking fresh herbs and vegetable from my little organic garden patch. It is a great lesson for the boys, too. The little one loves helping me water the garden every night. I could get the job done in about 10 minutes with the hose, but we use buckets. I have my big bucket and he has his little one. It means so much to him to help take care of the garden that I don't mind the extra time involved. He always ends up soaked and I have to strip him down at the back door every night, but that is part of the fun when you are three.


Revved Up Hummus

1 15 oz can Chickpeas, drained, reserving 1/4 cup liquid
1/4 cup Tahini sesame paste
1/4 cup Fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp Fresh grated ginger
1/4 tsp Cumin
1/4 cup Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 Plum tomato, finely chopped and seeded
2 green onions, sliced thin
salt and pepper to taste

In a food processor, combine chickpeas, reserved liquid, tahini, lemon juice, oil, garlic, ginger, and cumin. Puree until smooth. Transfer into serving bowl and stir in cilantro, tomato, and green onion. Season with salt and pepper. If desired, drizzle additional 2 Tbsp olive oil over the top and garnish with cilantro leaves. Makes 3 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment