Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Easy Cinnamon Rolls

I confess. I am an impatient person. I have never been able to make yeast based breads and pastries for my lack of patience in waiting for the yeast to do its thing. I get in a hurry. I don't want to go off for two hours and do something else while the yeast bubbles and rises. I want to flow from one step to another until I have my goodies baking in the oven, the pleasant scent wafting through the kitchen. That is why I love this recipe. No yeast involved and it is super easy, not to mention quick to make. In my opinion they taste just like the yeast variety and my kids still haven't figured out the secret ingredient that gives them the soft, yummy texture.

Disclaimer: These are old photos done in poor lighting. I think the next time I make up another batch I am going to get some better photos!!


Easy Cinnamon Rolls

Dough:
3/4 cup Cottage Cheese (4% milk fat)
1/3 cup Buttermilk
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
4 Tbsp melted butter (unsalted)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups Unbleached Flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Baking Soda

Filling:
1 1/2 Tbsp melted butter (unsalted)
2/3 cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cloves
1 cup Chopped Pecans

Glaze:
2/3 cup Confectioner's Sugar
2-3 Tbsp Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Extract 

Heat oven to 400 degrees f. Grease the sides and bottom of a 9 or 10 inch spring form pan.

In a food processor, mix first five ingredients together until smooth (about 10 seconds). Add remaining ingredients for dough and pulse in short bursts just until dough clumps together, careful to not over process. Dough will be soft and moist.

Scrape dough out onto floured surface and knead with floured hands until smooth. Roll dough into a 12x15 inch triangle.

Brush the dough with the melted butter for filling, leaving a 1/2 inch border around edges. Combine brown sugar, spices, and pecans. Sprinkle evenly over buttered dough.

Starting at long edge, roll the dough up jelly roll style. Pinch at seams to seal and leave ends open. Cut roll into 12 equal pieces with a sharp knife. Set the pieces cut side up in prepared pan. They should touch slightly.

Bake until golden brown, about 20-28 minutes. Set on wire rack to cool. Meanwhile, mix confectioner's sugar, 2 Tbsp milk, and vanilla extract in a small bowl to make a smooth glaze, thick but pourable. Add 1 Tbsp more milk if needed. Remove rolls from pan and transfer to serving plate. Drizzle glaze over rolls and let stand 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment