Tuesday, August 29, 2017

How You Can Help Hurricane Harvey Victims

ABC News Satellite Image
The Hippy Home, if you weren't aware, is based out of San Antonio, Texas. I was watching updates on Harvey with great anxiety last Friday because early predictions put us in the path of this storm's catastrophic flooding. We narrowly missed disaster. For that I am grateful, but I sit here at my desk with the sun from now cleared skies shining in my window horrified at the events still unfolding in Houston and the destruction left behind in coastal towns like Port Aransas.

I have posted on social media that my home is open to anyone evacuating Harvey's wrath. That still stands, so if you or anyone you know needs a place to stay please reach out to me. In the meantime, if you would like to help out the victims Hurricane Harvey left in its wake, I have compiled a list of organizations that are in need.

The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund is a local organization set up by the Houston mayor.

Several Texas food banks are collecting donations for victims. Those include the San Antonio Food BankHouston Food Bank, and the Food Bank of Corpus Christi.

You can donate to The Red Cross directly on their web page or text Harvey to 90999 to donate $10.

To help out with all of the pets displaced by Hurricane Harvey, you can donate to the San Antonio Humane Society or the Houston Humane Society.

You can help the wildlife affected by the floods here: TWRC Wildife Center.

Unfortunately, there are folks who take advantage of bad situations, so make sure you donate to a reputable organization to avoid scammers. 

From the great state of Texas, I say thank you. It is heartwarming to see so many people coming together in our time of need. I have seen and heard awesome stories of humanity pulling together in adversity. 





No comments:

Post a Comment