Monday, August 28, 2017

Don't Know What to Do With That Bag of Kale You Just Bought? Try These 5 Kale Recipes from Around the Web.



I have a confession to make. I bought a big bag of organic kale because it was discounted by 50%. Once I got home with it, I was at a loss as to what to do with it. Usually, I stick to baby kale and mix it in with salads. But we are talking a big bag here. There are just two of us.

What was I thinking?

Since I've already put in all the research, I thought I would share it with  you so if you ever found yourself in the same predicament, staring at a bag of kale you have no idea what to do with, you have all the resources you need so you can use up that kale before it becomes a bag of slime in your refrigerator.

Photo Credit: Serious Eats/Jennifer Segal
Kale, Apple, and Pancetta Salad

This salad will be on our plates for dinner tonight. With the combination of kale, apples, and pecans, it makes a perfect fall salad. Serve it as a main dish or a side. It would also make a beautiful and healthy Thanksgiving side dish.

Photo Credit: Heidi Swanson/101 Cookbooks

Ribollita

101 Cookbooks is one of my favorite food blogs. Blogger Heidi Swanson describes this dish as a thick Tuscan stew thickened with day old bread. This vegetarian stew requires a whole pound of kale, so if you bought the big bag this is the recipe for you. Another great fall recipe, especially when we get into the cooler days, which will be around December down here in Texas.


Photo Credit: Brian Woodcock
Sausage and Kale Pesto Pizza

You could easily swap out the pork sausage for a plant based sausage to make this vegetarian. This savory pie is full of bold flavor and is shaped and baked in a cast iron skillet.

Photo Credit: Cookie and Kate
Southwest Kale Power Salad

What's not to like about this vegetarian (and gluten free) salad? It's chock full of nutrition and southwest flavor. Sweet potatoes, yes! Avocado, I'm in heaven. The best part of all is that it's a complete meal in a bowl. No need to serve anything else with it.

Photo Credit: Dana at Minimalist Baker
Hide Your Kale Smoothie

Finally, no list would be complete without a smoothie recipe, and this one's not green! Not only that, but the kale taste is hidden as well. The best part of this is that you don't have to use fresh kale, so if you have leftovers in that giant bag and you are still at a loss as to what to do with it, throw it in the freezer and use it to make a kale smoothie for a great breakfast on the run.



8 comments:

  1. Haha I sometimes have the same problem! I'll buy a bag of greens and them like...okay, now what? I love hiding it in my smoothies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I am glad I'm not alone! I'm guilty of not inclulding veggies in my smoothies, but I think I'm about to start.

      Delete
  2. I love Kale and am excited about a few of these ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kale salad is absolutely delicious. I'm going to have to freeze the rest of my kale before it goes bad, but that means lots of yummy smoothies. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I have recently started to add more greens to my diet and Kale is definitely on my list. Thank you for sharing these recipes.

    ReplyDelete