Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Tummy Soothing Banana Ginger Smoothie


I unfortunately started off the first several days of my summer break with a stomach ailment. I'm not sure if it was a tummy bug or food poisoning, but either way it was no fun. A day of bloating so bad I looked pregnant again, followed by two days of fatigue and diarrhea. When I have any sort of stomach discomfort I like to bring out the ginger. One of my favorite tummy tonics is ginger beer. I have been meaning to try making my own but for now I usually buy Reeds Extra Ginger Jamaican Ginger Brew. This stuff helped ease morning sickness with the little and is my go to drink when illness hits. As far as my budget goes it is a bit on the expensive side but well worth it. 


I needed something with a bit of calories and energy to get me through this last bout of illness so I concocted up this smoothie using ingredients to give energy and calm an upset stomach. It seemed to do the trick and was yummy as well. No need to wait until you are experiencing an upset stomach to try it. Ginger is a great addition to your diet anytime as it has many known health benefits including acting as a natural antibiotic and easing inflammation. It may even be beneficial in killing cancer cells.

Banana Ginger Smoothie

1 ripe banana
1 heaping Tbsp almond butter
2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp local raw honey
1+ tsp grated fresh ginger. The more the better.
1 C cold chamomile tea or water

Blend together until smooth and drink up! 

** Really cool and useful tip on storing ginger root: If you are like me you never get around to using the whole root before it either starts growing, molds, or shrivels up on you. Simply plop it in the freezer and it will keep for a long time. It is also easier to grate. 



No comments:

Post a Comment