Sunday, June 2, 2013

Natural Homemade Toothpaste.


I am on a quest to find the best homemade toothpaste for a four year old. Natural toothpaste for children is expensive and the mainstream toothpastes marketed for kids is just plain scary. I mean, who in their right mind thought it was cool to make sparkly toothpaste? I don't even want to know what they put in it to make it sparkly. Other ingredients that scare me are artificial sweeteners and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. 

I have been on a coconut oil kick lately. I use it daily as a moisturizer. It doesn't cause breakouts and is absorbed quickly by my skin. It also serves as a natural sunscreen for everyday exposure, though if you are going to have a fun day at the beach a stronger sunscreen might be a good bet. 

Anyway, I came across a toothpaste recipe using coconut oil and decided to mix some up for the little one. Of course, I gave it a try first and realized this is a great adult toothpaste and will probably replace my Tom's of Maine toothpaste, especially after I read that it contained Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. It is nice and minty and leaves my mouth feeling really clean, however the baking soda gives it a little too much grit and a salty taste that the little one will not like. I also need to use another flavor, perhaps orange, because he does not like mint. So, as a natural, inexpensive adult toothpaste I give this a thumbs up. In the mean time I am still searching for something a little more kid friendly.




Coconut oil Toothpaste

6 Tbsp Coconut oil
6 Tbsp baking soda
2 packs Stevia powder
25 drops peppermint or cinnamon essential oil

Blend together coconut oil and baking soda. Add essential oil and stevia. Mix well. It can be stored in a small jar with a screw on lid. To use, simply dip toothbrush in to coat. 

If mixture gets too warm the baking soda will settle to the bottom as the oils separate. Simply stir it up again and it is ready to use. 





No comments:

Post a Comment