Sunday, April 15, 2012

Library Adventures and Fresh Berry Bismark

The kids and I love spending time at the library, especially the fairly new Semmes branch at Comanche Lookout Park. The library is beautiful and has a large window overlooking a patio facing the park. If the weather is nice we can walk the trails or Ben can run wild with the other little ones on the playground. Usually the playground beckons pretty quickly so I have to either look up the call numbers of books ahead of time on the internet or settle for browsing the new books section. Sometimes I will put the books on hold a few days before we plan on going so then all I have to do is go to the "on hold" section and pull them all off the shelf at once, but that usually requires a fair amount of forethought that I seem to be lacking lately.

The last time we went I was drawn toward cookbooks. It was a bit of a hasty browse down the cookbook section, but one did catch my eye and I am glad it did. The recipes we have tried so far have been yummy. I ended up renewing the book and finally finding a cheap copy on Amazon.com. I am now awaiting its delivery. The book is The Family Kitchen by chef Debra Ponzek. If you want to try before you buy, I will be returning my library copy shortly ;)


I especially like her breakfast recipes. I was searching for a recipe to use up the fresh berries I had on hand and came across the recipe for fresh berry bismark. This was my first time making a bismark, but they are fairly easy and delicious. The boys seemed to think so too.


Fresh Berry Bismark

(from The Family Kitchen, by Debra Ponzek)

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs
pinch of salt
pure maple syrup
fresh berries ( I used blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries)
confectioners sugar
10 inch oven proof skillet (my cast iron worked perfectly)

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

Put the butter in a 10-inch skillet and heat in the oven until the butter melts and begins to bubble. Watch carefully to avoid burning the butter.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together the flour, milk, eggs, and salt until smooth.

Pour batter into the skillet and return to the oven for about 12 minutes, or until the batter is puffy and golden brown.

Slide the puffed bismark onto a serving plate. Drizzle with maple syrup, fresh berries, and confectioners sugar. Cut in half or quarter and serve immediately.

Serves 2 big people and one little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment