Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Benefits of Hanging Your Laundry Out To Dry

I enjoy hanging my laundry out on the line, but there are many benefits I gain from it as well. I have a small back yard so I only have one retractable line purchased from Amazon.com that stretches from the back of the house to the fence, but it is usually just enough for one load of clothes.

One of the most obvious benefits of hanging your clothes out to dry is its effect on your wallet. Depending on your dryer wattage and the amount of laundry you do a year you can save anywhere between $120-$250 per year on electricity costs.

Of course, it is also good for the environment. The less electricity you use, the smaller your carbon footprint.

Your laundry smells fresher.

The sun kills bacteria and germs naturally and even helps make whites whiter!

Clothes last longer. The harsh heat and pounding from the dryer wears out fabric and weakens elastic.

Hanging your clothes out gets you outside in the sun and moving.

Clothes dryers are fire hazards. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, there are an estimated annual 15,500 fires, 10 deaths and 10 injuries due to clothes dryer fires. Improperly installed vents contribute to several hundred people a year exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

One of the biggest complaints about hanging your clothes out to dry is stiff towels. To avoid this, simply add about 1/4 cup white vinegar to your wash load. I also get more room on my line and avoid clothespin marks on my shirts by hanging them on hangers first. When you take them off the line they are all ready to hang in the closet! I also fold the laundry as I take it down. Why handle each item more than I have to? Saves time and keeps me outside a little bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment