Tuesday, October 18, 2016

How to Make Fresh Oregano Tea for Asthma and Allergy Relief


It seems the only thing I can get to flourish in my garden is oregano. It has taken over half of it and threatens overtaking my thyme. I gave bunches of it away, I need to dry some for later use, but I have mainly been drinking it in a tea.

While people tend to think of oregano strictly as a culinary herb, it's medicinal qualities shouldn't be overlooked. Oregano contains carvacrol, which is antibacterial. It is also full of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory flavonoids. Oregano is nutrient dense. It contains the vitamins A,C, E, K, and B6. It also contains folate, iron, magnesium, calcium, and potassium.

What got me interested in drinking oregano tea was its use to help ease asthma and allergy symptoms.  I suspect I have stress induced asthma. When I run my lungs seem to close down and I start wheezing. It's frustrating, especially since I have been doing Crosstraining. I don't feel like I have been drinking oregano tea long enough to assess how much it has helped me, but I do know I managed to run my first mile about an hour after drinking a batch. That's a big deal for me. I'm going to drink a batch before I go run a 5k this weekend. I'll let you know how I do.

Oregano Tea 

Making a cup couldn't be simpler. Take about three sprigs of fresh oregano, preferably organic, and place in your mug. Pour boiling water over the herb to fill the mug. Cover and steep about 5-8 minutes. Remove oregano sprigs and sweeten with local honey, if desired. Drink two to three cups daily.


No comments:

Post a Comment